036 photo 036-2_zps206935e5.jpg

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Six.

Twenty six weeks
One hundred eighty two days
Four thousand three hundred sixty eight hours
Two hundred sixty two thousand eighty minutes

This is the amount of time that has elapsed since you were inside me. Living, growing, swimming, kicking. Three months after your earthly entrance I wrote the following entry. It never made its way to publishing because it never felt quite finished.

I ate minestrone soup today for lunch. It had lentils in it. As I sipped the brothy mixture I was reminded of how small you once were. How something so tiny and unseen can hold such a large presence in this vast world of ours. For weeks many people had no idea you even existed. But we did. We knew of the lentil and the kumquat growing so diligently inside my womb. I miss the excitement of achieving each of those milestones. 

I miss the first and the last time I felt your body inside mine.


That was all I wrote. Not much and nothing profound, but it was enough. I miss you through space and time my little moon baby. I no longer miss the milestones of your gestation, for I relish in the milestones of your succulent growth.

Happy half birthday little wolf. Happy six months!

1 comment:

  1. so profound. because it is in soup moments that so much is revealed to us.
    this GOT me:

    i miss the first and the last time i felt your body inside mine.

    oh god. yes.

    ReplyDelete