036 photo 036-2_zps206935e5.jpg

Monday, May 24, 2010

Asante (Ashanti), Akua'ba Fertility Doll

"The Ashanti (or Asante) of southern Ghana carve wooden dolls designed to ensure fertility and the birth of healthy, beautiful children; the dolls also are used as instructional toys for young girls. The figures may be carried on the back in a cloth wrapper, much as one would carry a child, or placed in a shrine. The Ashanti call this type of doll Akouba (or Akuaba).

The Asante (Ashanti) believe that the children gain their “ntoro” (spirit) from their father and clan membership from their mothers’ blood, “mogya”. In turn, a female childs’ entire life, was a preparation for motherhood. Even now, the “Akua’ba” (fertility doll) of the Akan (ancestors of the Asante) and Asante are used by young women hoping for a child. Legend has it that a woman who has worn one of these dolls, will give birth to a beautiful child. Bodily aesthetic beauty to the Asante is a long neck, a high forehead and a small mouth. Traditionally, the user of the Asante doll would have it prayed over, strap it to her back, carry it the way she would a real child and generally tend to the doll as if it had life. Larger whitened antique styled dolls such as these are placed in the household and kept near the hopeful. They are also used as a sign of good luck and fertility in the home."


I first met her about a year and a half ago when I was staying at Papa and Daddy' house. We were visiting and trying to get pregnant for our first surrogacy. One night, I had to use the restroom so I got out of bed and opened my door to find her there, greeting me. I asked Daddy about it the next morning and he laughed, rolled his eyes and mentioned something about Papa and his African stuff. Papa explained to us who she was and after our IUI on another visit he rubbed it over my stomach.

Less than two weeks after that last visit we found out we were pregnant.. and 9 months later, we brought a beautiful little boy in to this world. Was it Akua'ba? We will never know. But one thing is for sure.. she visited me again recently.

Meet Akua'ba, she was sitting on the night stand in our room the weekend I surged.



And I have a feeling she had something to do with me getting an earlier surge than expected..

No comments:

Post a Comment